Local News

Tips for Avoiding Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After the Big Snow in Lincoln

LINCOLN, Neb. (Nebraska) — With the first big snow in two years on Thursday, there’s a chance dangerous gases are building up in your home.

People who have natural gas heating need to be aware of where the vent and suction lines are located in their home.

If your vents are on the side of your house, it’s important to make sure the snow and ice are removed about a foot.

Lincoln Fire & Rescue says to make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors on every level of the house.

If your furnace fails to burn properly, it can not only cause CO to build up, but it can also damage the heating unit itself by causing a buildup of moisture.

Most units shut down automatically if they don’t vent or get the air it needs, but that means your home isn’t getting hot.

It’s also important to remove snow from the meter because the regulator attached to it has to vent excess natural gas away from your home.

Failure to remove may cause a gas leak.

If you smell natural gas, call Black Hills Energy to have it checked.

Content Source

The Sarpy County – Latest News:
Omaha Local News || Nebraska State News || Crime and Safety News || National news || Tech News || Lifestyle News

Related Articles

Back to top button