This is what is going to happen if you swallow a chewing gum, fruit seeds or tooth and what you should do

Nothing bad will happen if you swallow a piece of gum. However, ingesting a big quantity might cause constipation and even intestinal obstruction. What if you accidentally ingest seeds, toothpaste, or a fish bone? Further reading…

We have all swallowed non-food items, such as toothpaste while cleaning our teeth, olive pits while eating olives, and chewing gum.

In addition, we have all heard innumerable fallacies regarding what occurs when we consume anything. And many myths are frightening.

How true are these misconceptions, and what actually occurs when we consume certain of these substances?
Chewing gum

When you were young, were you informed that swallowing chewing gum would take seven years to break down?

This is, of course, false, because swallowing a single piece of gum poses no threat.

It will not be digested, but it will not remain in the stomach either; it will be expelled from the body via feces.

Constipation or even obstructed intestines may develop in extremely rare instances if chewing gum is consumed often or in large quantities.

Fruit seeds

A little quantity of fruit seeds (such as those from oranges and apples) will not pose an issue, i.e. those from a single fruit.

The seeds will be metabolized and eliminated from the body.

It is true that certain seeds contain cyanide, albeit in extremely minute concentrations. That is, in order for these elements to be harmful, you either consume a large quantity of seeds at once or consume them daily for an extended length of time.

Olive seeds

Olive seeds are non-toxic. Numerous animals and birds consume olives, including the seeds.

As with fruit seeds, swallowing two or three seeds will not harm you, but it is best to avoid doing so because they can become caught in your mouth.


A circumstance in which you swallow a tooth is unusual unless you neglect your dental hygiene.

However, this may occur in young children who are teething.

In general, an adult’s digestive system can digest and expel a tooth that has been ingested.

In contrast, if your child eats a tooth, you should visit a physician and be on the lookout for signs such as stomach ache.

Take the youngster to the doctor promptly if he exhibits symptoms such as fever, blood in the stool, problems swallowing, or chest discomfort.

Related Articles

Back to top button