Crime and Safety

Six rioters charged with domestic terrorism after violent protests in Atlanta

Six people were charged with domestic terrorism after violent protests against cops in downtown Atlanta on Saturday – cops revealed all but one were from out of state.

Demonstrators gathered to protest a proposed public safety training center dubbed “Police City” and the fatal killing of an environmental activist by police.

However, the demonstrations quickly stopped: angry rioters smashed windows and set a police car on fire.

The suspects, aged between 20 and 37, now face four misdemeanor charges and four felony charges each.

They were identified as Nadia Geyer, 24, from Nashville, Tennessee; Madeleine Feola, 22, from Spokane, Washington; Ivan Ferguson, 22, from Nevada; Graham Evatt, 20, Decatur, Georgia; Frances Carroll, 22, from Kennebunkport, Maine; and Emily Murphy, 37, from Gross Isle, Michigan.

Top left: Nadia Geyer, Madeleine Feola, Ivan Ferguson Bottom left: Emily Murphy, Graham Evatt, Frances Carroll
Top, left to right: Nadia Geyer, Madeleine Feola, Ivan Ferguson. Bottom left to right: Emily Murphy, Graham Evatt, Francis Carroll.

Atlanta protests
All six suspects face four misdemeanor and four felony charges.

The rebellious group was charged with second-degree damage, first-degree arson, trespassing on public property, and domestic terrorism—all felony charges.

Misdemeanor charges include rioting, walking on a roadway, intentionally obstructing a law enforcement officer, and unlawful assembly.

In a statement posted on Twitter on Monday, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp confirmed the allegations and that most of those arrested came to Atlanta from outside the state.

“Only one criminal arrested during Saturday’s riots is from Georgia. None of those arrested during the operation last week are from Georgia.” He wrote. “Law enforcement has shown how quickly we can stop those who try to import violence from other states, and we will continue to do so.”

A law enforcement vehicle caught fire during demonstrations related to the death of Manuel Teran.
A law enforcement vehicle caught fire during demonstrations related to the death of Manuel Teran.

Saturday’s disruptive rally followed the fatal police shooting of an activist protesting the construction of a new public safety training center.

The protests followed the fatal police shooting of environmental activist Manuel Esteban Paez Teran. The 26-year-old lawyer was shot and killed last week by members of the Georgia State Patrol who were trying to clear demonstrators from the construction of a public safety training center.

On Wednesday morning, Teran was asked to leave the forest, but he shot at the soldiers, wounding one patrol. As a result, law enforcement officers returned fire and mortally wounded Teran.

After Teran’s death, angry and destructive protests swept through the city. An angry mob took to the streets on Saturday, smashing car windows and damaging several businesses.

While the protests began peacefully, amidst the chaos, some scammers ransacked property and set a police car on fire.

While most of the protesters remained peaceful, six caused chaos, destroying businesses and setting a police car on fire.

“They had explosives. They burned a police car, smashed windows at enterprises. And so our police department, along with our state and federal partners, took swift action within two blocks and got the situation under control,” Dickens said Sunday on Face The Nation during a discussion with a group of mayors.

“Most of them came to our city to wreak havoc. So we love to support people when they’re doing the right thing, peaceful protest is part of America’s – our freedoms – but when you’re violent, we’ll make sure you’re held accountable.”

Content Source

The Sarpy County – Latest News:
Omaha Local News || Nebraska State News || Crime and Safety News || National news || Tech News || Lifestyle News

Related Articles

Back to top button