LINCOLN, Nebraska – A two-alarm garage fire is being investigated by Lincoln Fire & Rescue in the Near South area.
At approximately 5:45 p.m. on Thursday, flames could be seen shooting from a garage near the intersection of 16th and Rose Streets.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze, but according to Battalion Chief Jim Bopp, the garage sustained $50,000 in damages. Additionally, two vehicles were damaged, although according to Chief Bopp, it is uncertain whether they are total losses. The entire amount of damage is unknown, as authorities are still determining how much of the garage’s contents were destroyed.
There have been no reported injuries. Bopp stated that the cause appeared to be a malfunction on a resident’s motor scooter. Bopp stated that following the malfunction, there was a gas leak, which somehow sparked the fire.