Iowa man infected with ‘brain-eating’ amoeba, beach at the Lake of Three Fires in Taylor County shut down
Thursday, a beach in Iowa was closed due to the suspicion that it was contaminated with a “brain-eating” amoeba.
The closure follows the confirmation of an infection in a person who recently swam in Lake of Three Fires, Taylor County.
Extremely uncommon and life-threatening brain infections can be caused by amoeba.
The beach at Lake of Three Fires State Park is normally crowded with summer tourists, but it is currently quiet.
Abby Melvin, a camper, and her friends never imagined that their summer reunion would be the site of an invisible health risk.
She said, “It’s strange that that thing can just come inside you and do that.”
Melvin stated that the lake appears to be in good condition from a distance. However, state health specialists assert that a microscopic amoeba may be hidden in the water.
The amoeba can enter the nose and consume the brain.
Supervisor of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources Michelle Reinig states that getting sick from it is “clearly uncommon.”
The DNR has now closed Lake of Three Fires state park’s beach.
A Missouri citizen is in intensive care after swimming in a lake last week.
The amoeba is often found in the warmer southern lakes of the United States, but Reinig had never heard of it.
“Some people are only here to fish, picnic, and relax at their tent, and they can still do those things; the beach is currently blocked,” she explained.
Campers at the campground can view the magnificent lake, but they cannot swim on it at this time.
Melvin stated, “It’s pretty shocking to me that it’s here, just about the time that we arrive, so we thought it was all kind of strange.”
Even though the virus is extremely rare, its fatality rate is significant. From 1962 until 2021, only four persons out of 154 known cases lived.
The infection, according to authorities, originates when tainted water enters a swimmer’s nose. It cannot be transmitted between individuals.
In warm, freshwater bodies, you should minimize the amount of water that enters your nose to reduce your risk of infection.