Enrich the menu with more cabbage, grainy fruit and turmeric, and oncologists point out that citizens should be more critical of everything they buy. Breast cancer is the most common form of tumor in women, and as many as 250 women get sick from this disease every month, while 90 of them lose the battle against the disease. . All of October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Breast cancer accounts for 25 percent of all cancers in women, so it is important to approach this problem preventively. – WHO predicts that the number of cancer patients will increase from 14 million in 2012 to 24 million in 2035, while the number of deaths will increase from 8.2 million to 13 million annually – warns dr. Ilona Susac, a specialist in oncology and radiotherapy from a polyclinic. Although genetics is important and scientific research clearly links the existence of genetic mutations to specific types and subtypes of cancer in humans, for the development of tumorous diseases require a series of harmful factors, which, depending on the strength and depth of the action, affect the place of appearance of a tumor in the body, the speed of its development and the prognosis of the disease. – If women were to go for an ultrasound examination of their breasts from 25 once a year, a mammogram from 45 every two to three years and a gynecological examination with Pap test and ultrasound once a year, a large part of the tumors of these organs, which make up 50 percent of all types of cancer in women, would be detected at a stage in which a cure is possible – he points out dr. Susac.
Watch for symptoms
If you notice breast symptoms such as a hard lump, swelling, warmth, reddening of the skin, a change in the size or shape of the breast, swelling, pain in one spot that does not go away, indentation or swelling of the skin, itching, sore or rash on the nipple or indentation or discharge from one nipple that starts suddenly and occurs only at one opening of the nipple, it is important to see a doctor immediately, warns dr Susac. By the time the lump can be felt or these changes have occurred, the cancer is well advanced. That is why it is important to regularly perform preventive examinations (mammography and ultrasound) with which breast cancer can be detected at a stage in which it cannot yet be felt or seen.
That’s why regular breast examination, preferably on the seventh day after the start of the cycle. If you are postmenopausal, choose the first or last day of the month. It is best to examine yourself before or during the shower. Pay attention to the change in the size, shape and position of the nipple, whether there is blood or discharge from them. Look for a lump, thickening, or fold in the skin. Also pay attention to inflammation or a rash on the breast, if the veins are more prominent than usual and if you have a different feeling in any of the breasts. If you notice whatever unusual, see a doctor. In most cases, these are harmless lumps. If you are over 50 years old, with a regular self-examination, be sure to go to mammogram once a year. See how to do a self-examination in the video: …
Useful steps to save yourself from cancer
- Stop smoking-Smoking is thought to be the main risk factor for about 20 percent of global cancer deaths and about 70 percent of global lung deaths.
- Regulate weight-Obesity is considered a significant cause of occurrence on endometrial cancer, pancreatic cancer and kidney cancer, gall bladder and breast cancer
- Physical activity-British experts claim that more frequent physical activity, such as brisk walking at least three times for half an hour a week, prevented 10,000 cases of breast and colon cancer annually in that country alone.
- Regular self-examination – Pay attention to changes in the size, shape or position of the nipples, i.e. if there is blood or discharge from them. Look for a breast lump, thickening, fold, inflammation or rash
- Healthy diet-A diet based on five meals of fruit and vegetables a day, with the introduction of tomatoes, citrus, green leafy vegetables, onions and garlic, with lots of black and green tea, is considered the main form of prevention. The Mediterranean diet is also a good source.
- Responsible external behavior – Vaccine protection for some types of cancer (in low- and middle-income countries infections such as HBV / HCV and HPV, are responsible for about 20 percent of cancer deaths).
10 foods to fight breast cancer
- Kale, broccoli, cauliflower
- Granular fruit-blackberries, blueberries, strawberries…
- Plums and a cup of tea
- Onions in the salad