News

Bad shower practices can cause ‘permanent vision loss’ – millions of Britons at risk

A shower is a very meaningless activity that one participates in. Because of this, poor behaviors are frequently overlooked. There are certain behaviors that could be harmful to your health. Tina Patel, an optician at Feel Good Contacts, advises customers not to wear their contact lenses when they are washing their hair or performing other household chores.

Ms. Patel provided the following explanation: “Acanthamoeba keratitis can develop if water that is polluted comes into contact with the eye.”

And because wearing contact lenses in the shower raises your risk of having a condition called Acanthamoeba keratitis, the optician advised that you should avoid wearing lenses while you are exposed to water.

What is a condition known as acanthamoeba keratitis?

Acanthamoeba keratitis is a severe eye condition that causes a great deal of discomfort and affects the cornea.

Acanthamoeba is a type of amoeba that occurs in nature and lives independently (single-celled organisms).

Acanthamoeba can be found in a variety of environments, including soil, sewage systems, swimming pools, and even saunas and hot tubs.

When we come into contact with acanthamoeba, it does not, in most cases, result in any kind of harm. However, a condition known as acanthamoeba keratitis can develop if amoeba are able to invade the cornea, as the optician said.

Ms. Patel continued by saying, “Although it is a rare infection, those who wear contact lenses are more likely to contract it.”

“Those who are affected by it may experience serious problems, including temporary or permanent eyesight loss as a result of their condition. In severe circumstances, it is possible that a corneal transplant will be required.

The disconcerting conclusion of the case study that prompted the optician to issue the warning is that a woman lost her left eye because it became infected when she was showering while wearing her contact lenses.

Because of the subpar treatment, Marie Mason was diagnosed with a case of acanthamoeba keratitis.

Marie Mason, a 54-year-old woman from the United Kingdom who wore contact lenses for 30 days, believes the organism got into her eye while she was showering because she didn’t remove her lenses.

She explained to BBC News that the particle “would have gotten beneath the lens then multiplied such that my eye was plagued with it.”

2015 was the year that Mason first became aware that something was amiss.

According to BBC News, she explained, “I started feeling like I had a foreign body in my eye like a bit of sand or grit which, when you rub, it will generally go away, but it wouldn’t.” “I started feeling like I had a foreign body in my eye like a bit of sand or grit”

Mason was advised by an optician to go to the hospital, where she was examined by doctors who diagnosed her with a condition known as Acanthamoeba keratitis. They treated her condition with a variety of medications, eye drops, and even three cornea transplants; however, none of these treatments were successful.

Mason told SWNS, a news agency headquartered in the United Kingdom, that the experience consisted of “simply lots of hospital trips, lots of eye drops, lots of operations and treatments, and plenty of suffering.”

After a period of five years, it was decided that her left eye should be removed, and she has been using an artificial replacement ever since the procedure took place two years ago.

“I do have some difficulty at times as a result of the fact that the eyesight on my left side is, well, nonexistent. She added, “It’s quite difficult walking down the street when you’ve got people speeding by you, and it makes you jump a bit because you don’t expect it.” It’s quite difficult walking down the street when people are zipping by you.

Because the symptoms of acanthamoeba keratitis are so comparable to those of other common eye infections, the condition is frequently misdiagnosed in its early stages when it is discovered at all.

Some common symptoms include:

  • Red eyes
  • Increased sensitivity to light
  • Extreme eye pain
  • Blurred vision
  • The constant feeling of something in the eye
  • Excessive tearing.

The Sarpy County – Latest News:
Omaha Local News || Nebraska State News || Crime and Safety News || National news || Tech News || Lifestyle News

Related Articles

Back to top button