A YRTC employee had his head and ribs kicked during the February 7 attack

An unsealed court record contains more details on the brutality of an attack on Kearney YRTC employees last month.

Three minors from Kearney YRTC are facing felony charges in adult court in connection with the attack early in the morning on February 7.

Jabreen Sidney, 17, is charged with assault in the first degree and three counts of aiding and abetting assault in the second degree. If convicted, he could face up to 59 years in prison. He is being held on $150,000 bond.

Julian Tapia, 17, is charged with first-degree assault, three counts of second-degree assault and two counts of using a weapon to commit a felony. If convicted, the maximum sentences amount to 210 years in prison. Tapia is held on a $250,000 bond.

Brendan Lee, 17, is charged with three counts of aiding and abetting the second-degree assault. If convicted, he could get up to nine years in prison. His bail is $25,000

State Patrol arrested the trio on February 27. All three will appear in court as adults on March 13, 2020.

A previously released affidavit indicated that the teenagers had been inside Lincoln’s housing unit. Information in the unsealed affidavit indicates that the boys were disassembling a metal bed frame at about 1:30 a.m. on Feb. 7. When a YRTC employee entered the room, he was punched with a clenched fist by Tapia, Sidney and an unnamed 16-year-old minor. Two other YRTC employees attempted to intervene, but were attacked by Tapia, Sidney, Lee and the young man. During the fight, YRTC employees were hit multiple times in the head and body with clenched fists, and were hit multiple times in the head, back and arms by metal pieces from two bed frames. At one point during the fight, one of the YRTC employees fell to the ground, then was kicked and trampled in the head and ribs.

Law enforcement officers entered the room after about 15 minutes and broke up the fight. Two of the YRTC employees were taken by ambulance to the hospital where one of them had to be treated for a concussion. A third YRTC employee was driven to the hospital. A statement from the Department of Health and Human Services indicated they received “non-life threatening injuries”.

Since that assault and the subsequent escapes from the Kearney facility, the Department of Health and Human Services has added additional management to staffing the YRTC 24 hours a day.

Content Source

The Sarpy County – Latest News:
Omaha Local News || Nebraska State News || Crime and Safety News || National news || Tech News || Lifestyle News

Related Articles

Back to top button